Monday, August 1, 2011

Adventure on the Yucatan: Mexico part 2

Hm, so Flikr is being stupid and I can't add too much. Most pics and videos on my facebook later.

So other than tourist stuff, we decided to have an adventure.

Mex 309
Jerry on the Mexican "Harley". The company we rented from was kinda shady. Every bike Jerry got, it would just shut off randomly and mine blew a tire - but other rentals we saw seemed legit.

Mex 301
Anyway, we scooted around and after walking in some shady places, came across this local restaurant. Better and cheaper than stuff on Tourist row.

Mex 653
We headed down the coast to Tulum (note: driving in Mexico is kind of crazy). The further south, the more empty it becomes. We had these beaches virtually to ourselves. The seas were a little rougher due to the storm that had passed through, but imagine the waters calm.... perfect.

Mex 656
Here's Jerry posing for my Corona commercial. But lacking beer, I made one out of sand.

Mex 661
We were kind of "camping". These are cabanas - thatch roof, stick walls and no electricity. It's self-described as an uber romantic cozy spot. Would I take my wife here? As long as she's cool with NO AC and only candles.

Mex 871
On the day that they ditched me to do some wedding function, I went to Akumal which is renown for it's Turtle Bay because it has...... GELATO! Or turtles. Aptly named they were everywhere. Here is a pair of wary eagle beaked turtles.

Mex 749
On the same day, I went to the Tulum ruins. Here's me posing with some Mayan warriors. I took my SLR to Tulum so I'll put those pictures up once I develop the film (yes, I still use film)

Mex 662
SURPRISE! We nearly stumbled on top of this Leatherback turtle digging out her nest. SO COOL. Tulum is a nesting site for the turtles.

Mex 840
I know right? I need to CALM DOWN. Ahah, well, the super excited one is Doris who traveled with us for a few days, Jerry's the other one.

Mex 685
This is a cenote or an underwater cave system. Mysterious and hauntingly majestic.

Mex 721
Until you choose to scuba dive in them - then it becomes creepy. Claustrophobic people need not apply. That's the type of holes we had to squeeze through

Mex 819
Ah, one of my favorite. Snorkeling with Whale Sharks. They basically move the boat in front of the beasts and you jump off and swim madly until they eventually pull away.

Mex 809
HUUGEE but gentle, these are truly amazing creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment