Monday, August 1, 2011

DB's super encouraging reports #3: Nicaragua second half

Day 3-6

The day is filled with work. Work and work-play. And I know I said I wouldn’t mention it again, but it’s HOT. During the hottest parts of the day, we’ve received rain. Forest Gump describes it best when he called it “big ol’ fat rain”. It feels SO good since I’m already covered in mud, grease, sweat and this goo that we call “polymer”. At home rain is annoying, The rain tastes sweeter here and it is truly a blessing. Today we hit water! We are all told that finding water isn’t the important part, but I really really wanted to find water. Everyone has an extra bounce in their step and even Don Juan, the leader of the community had a slow smile spreading across his face.
As we play with the kids on our off-shifts, a little girl sees me filling up my bottle and asks for a drink. We’re told to refuse because we can’t provide them all with water. But it doesn’t stop my heart from breaking as I told her “no”. It occurs to me that constant thirst is a part of their life. Part of me wanted to find water to claim success and feel the rush of completing my goals. Her pleas are a reminder of why we’re doing it. They’d be happy to drink even water we refuse only on taste. Desperate enough, they drink whatever is around only to become sick. I feel a guilty tug on my conscience. I think of how I live, the complaints I have in my heart and how so many live without... anything. But I know the Lord has ordained all things and given to each of us what He has desired that we might use it for His kingdom and ultimate glory. Replacing the selfish thrill of achievement is the deeper joy of being able show my love in a real way so that the message of Christ would have an opportunity to come here in this village.
Today’s verse reflects the above in hope and in trust.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

The work days seem to flow into each other. Each morning, we have devotionals and each evening we spend time together. We always spend time here longer than we plan. The efficiency side of me hates this, but I am amazed on how these people can’t get enough. The focus isn’t on politics or sports, but topics pertaining to Christian living, theology or experiences.
Again, we have a weird assortment of work that strains strange muscle groups. But regardless of my complaints, I’m enjoying the work. Today my brilliant primary driller didn’t pause for me to turn off the water pressure and coated the inside of my mouth to the inside of my rain boots with gooey mud + polymer. I love it. There’s something about an messy honest day’s labor - in an act of building that draws me. And though I may struggle, afterwards I’m satisfied. Today, the village contributes to cook us a stew. I eat every single bite. What makes these people so hospitable, so loving, so happy? It’s just amazing to see.

Arg. Well, the community didn’t have enough water to flush out the well, despite kids bringing in buckets from every house nearby. Now a layer of mud firmed up by the polymer clogs the well. Unclogging involves using an air compressor to pump out some mud. Then we take out the pipes and use a weight on the end of a rope in back breaking labor. Then we pour in soap water, put in the pipes and pump it out. Repeat all day. It’s extreme labor alternating with down time. I play soccer with the kids and goof off with them in the muddy/soapy water that we’re pumping out. Later, during one of the pumping cycles we have a worship service and a pinata. It’s the craziest 5 minutes of my life. It breaks, and becomes a free-for-all mob. Seconds later, there is one drop of rain, two and then someone starts pouring buckets of water out of the sky. Like roaches, the kids scatter for cover from the kitchen to the butcher room. Me and 3 other “volunteers” help finish up while giggling madly in the downpour.

This next verse is from a favorite book of mine and reminds me that joy is independent of life.
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
- Habakkuk 3:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment