Monday, August 1, 2011

packing tips

So I'm not exactly an expert on this, but on at least every trip, someone looks at my stuff and says, "wow, I need to get me that". I even convinced the cheap-o Ted to invest. So, here are some tips.

1. Nylons. Yup, when I travel I have 0% cotton clothing. This is more true for humid areas, but they also assist in dry places and cold places. Nylons wick moisture and dry fast. This means a couple things. It means it'll keep you cooler by breathing and can actually dry in the humidity. You can take less clothing since you can wash each night and have them dry by morning. In cold weather, they take the sweat away so you don't get chilly when you stop moving. They pack smaller and in general stain less. Another good alternative is merino wool. Get an ultra thin version - these also retain less stink. I have one from several different companies. Let me know if you want my opinion.

2. No Jeans. Worst idea ever in any situation unless you're in air conditioned places or weather like SF.

3. Socks. Dude, they take up space and every country sells them for super cheap. So unless you know you need them....

4. compression sack. Waterproof if you can. I prefer the Sea to Summit eVent compression dry bag. What a great way to save space.

5. Hiking backpack. Unless the furthest you have to go is from the bus to the hotel, this makes life way easier. What to look for? You'll probably want a minimum of a 50L if you pack super light for up to several weeks and up to an 85L if you pack lots and are taking your life with you. A zip that opens it up is better than a top-loader. You can get one with a detachable day bag, but I'd carry it on your chest just to be safe. Remember to take a roll of tape to wrap it up to check in for the flight.

6. Shoes. The key is multi use. I like to take the strapped sandals. I can use them to walk around, shower, not have to worry about wet socks, rafting and the like. The second pair is usually a waterproof light-hiking shoe which lets me hike, jog, walk around with my feet dry.

7. Rain gear. Lots of times, I just don't care. But if you do, get some packlight gear. It's relatively cheap, gets real small so you can take it anywhere and is reasonably breathable. eVent is a more expensive but better alternative. Gore Tex Pro is bulkier and stiffer but just as light, more breathable and invincible.

8. Sleeping bag liner. It's small, gives a little warmth and you can be sure of it's cleanliness. You can get them in cotton, silk, fleece or other synthetic stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment