Monday, August 1, 2011

Let's go to Letts Lake

Well, with the long Memorial Day weekend, I had a chance to go camping again. I think half of the excitement is the ability to use any new toys that I had gotten since my last trip. The first thing people always comment is, "Why is your pack so big?" I just shrug until eventually there's a point where they say, "Oh, do we have ____" or "I wish we had ____". YYEEESSSSSS, here's my chance. Into my pack I dive to find the gizmo (you'd be surprised how many people buy canned food but forget a can opener). "Do you have something for EVERYTHING?" They ask. I try. and no one is allowed to have more gadgets than me.

Letts Lake is on the Eastern side of the Mendocino National Park and is mostly woody and this early in the year, there is NO running water. Also, the bathrooms are deep holes - it gives you a sense of eternity below you when you're trying to sit on.. ahhaha. It was about 80 during the day, down to 35 at night. Thank goodness for my super warm sleeping bag in which I was sweating while a buddy of mine slept only fitfully due to the cold. No mosquitoes, but 10000s of flying bugs which is a reason to keep the fire going. It's a stocked lake and full of snowmelt at a chilly 50 degrees.
Anyway, here's a shot of our base camp.

Letts 024
My stuff is the small one labeled the "dog house". But it's light and keeps all the flying bugs off... unfortunately, this time, there were lots and lots of spiders and the bottom is open. I smushed a few against my face in the night, but they bit me a few times. I call it a draw. I'm researching alternatives.

Letts 044Letts 041
First thing was a hike. It was a 10mi round trip hike through a "wilderness area" but because of snow, we coudln't make it to the top (maybe did 8mi). Cool because that means there are less people and you can camp anywhere you want, fish, whatever.

Letts 056
The first of 284 types of lavender.

Letts 075Letts 065
The hike is a grueling climb almost straight up most of the way but offered some beautiful vistas all the way to the Sierras (hard to tell in the pics)

Letts 051
And also, some less beautiful vistas too.

Letts 079
Here's us near the top before we ran into the snow.

Letts 026Letts 032
Afterward, we spent a lot of time fishing. I think there's just some primal tug that makes men want to catch food, kill and eat it. It's just so satisfying. And yes, I am wearing the same thing because hey, no showers, no worries. Actually some of the guys had brought razors and stuff in case we met girls *shakes head*.

Letts 030
I made a few friends when I dove into the lake (freezing) to get a lure they had snagged on a tree. Afterward, we helped a few of them catch their first fish and gave them a bunch (we had caught 20). They were funny kids and kept us entertained.

Letts 083
Other than that, we goofed around the fire... maybe too loud since the next day, our neighbors gave us some firewood and said, "So, I heard you guys talking about some spiritual stuff last night...." The first thing we were thinking was, "Oh crap, they heard everything?!?!" But they were a pair of older believers and it was a joy to speak with them, however briefly.

yeah so even though I casually knew Jerry and didn't know the other 2 at all, our commonality in the Lord (and maybe lack of girls) made it real easy to talk and get along. Weird thing was, within a few hours of knowing me, the said, "Maybe you should be nicer to girls." Why does everyone say that? Hiking for views, fishing, burning things and - all made for a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment